Ooni is not the first brand to bring a portable version of brick pizza oven to the market, but it certainly blazed the trail for the brands that followed. Sculpted from heavy-duty stainless steel and ceramic, Ooni ovens are built to stand the test of time. When properly taken care of, these ovens can last for years without any hiccups.
However, just like any other outdoor oven, Ooni models are also susceptible to weather damage. To prolong the lifespan of your pizza oven, we recommend using a custom-built protective cover and storing the oven in a dry, sheltered area, like a garage or basement.
If you’re in search of a detailed guide on how to store your Ooni properly, you have landed on just the right page. Read on to find out tried and tested tips on keeping your Ooni oven shielded against harsh weather.
Where to Store Ooni Pizza Oven? 4 Easy Ooni Storage Tips
1. Outside with the Cover On
Ooni pizza ovens are built to last. They are made of high-quality materials and designed to withstand even the harshest of weather conditions. So there is no need to worry about your Ooni being damaged by rain or snow. You can leave it outside as long as you cover it with a protective cover. I use a custom-designed cover for my Koda 16.
It’s made of heavy-duty polyester, and it comes with an aluminum buckle and loop to keep the gas regulator in place during transit.
It’s alright if you don’t want to invest in an Ooni cover right away. You can just use a plastic tarp to cover your Ooni pizza oven. I recommend using one that is waterproof and UV-resistant, so it won’t deteriorate over time.
2. On a Stainless Steel Cart
If you want to use your Ooni outside, but don’t have enough space in your backyard, then try placing it on a stainless steel cart.
You can easily move the oven around by pulling it with one hand. If it’s a custom-built cart and it’s freezing outside, consider placing the oven on the bottom shelf with the cover on to maximize the protection.
3. In the Garage or Basement
If you are using a cart, you can easily roll it into the garage or basement, provided you have enough space over there. Just make sure that you put down a tarp or other type of surface protector first so that you don’t damage the floor. Alternatively, you can store it flat on your garage shelf, with or without a cover.
Next Read: What can you cook in ooni pizza oven besides pizza?
Here are a few tips to consider if you are planning on storing an outdoor oven in your garage or basement:
- Make sure the oven is clean and cool before moving it. If necessary, clean the oven according to the manufacturer’s instructions, and allow it to cool completely before proceeding.
- Find a suitable location in your garage to store the oven. This should be a dry, well-ventilated area that is away from direct sunlight and other heat sources.
- Place the oven on sturdy, level surfaces, such as a cart, outdoor table, or shelf.
4. Under the Overhang
Leaving the oven with a cover on under the overhang is a good way to protect it from the elements, especially if you live in an area with heavy rain or snow.
This can also help to keep birds and insects away from your oven. If you choose this method, be sure that there is no water pooling on the cover so it does not get into the oven.
Tips for Storing Ooni Pizza Ovens
- Cool down the oven before moving: It’s not only damaging but also dangerous to put a plastic cover on a scalding hot oven. No point in guessing that it can seriously hurt you and torch the protective cover. So, err on the side of caution and give your oven a couple of hours to cool down.
Once it’s cooled off, clear up the grease and debris off the cooking surface with your oven brush and then roll it out into the storage area.
- Find a suitable location that is dry and well-ventilated: Moisture and lack of airflow can compromise the safety and durability of your oven. You don’t want any moisture to seep into the oven because that moisture leads to rust. Proper ventilation is especially important if it’s a gas-powered oven.
- Place the oven on a sturdy, level surface: Placing the oven on a wobbly, uneven surface increases the risk of tip-over. So, you will need a level, sturdy surface for the job.
Can I Leave Ooni Karu Outside?
I don’t see why not, but unless the weather is mild, I won’t recommend it. To be safe, store it in your basement or garage or under the overhang.
Use the weatherproof cover that fits the edges snugly and put it on a table or cart for easy transportation. If you don’t have a cover, cart, or table, feel free to use the original box for storage.
Are Ooni Pizza Ovens Weatherproof?
Ooni pizza ovens are not specifically designed to be weatherproof. While the ovens are built to withstand outdoor use, they are not specifically built to withstand extreme weather conditions such as heavy rain, snow, or extreme temperatures.
Next Read: ooni Pizza Oven Gas vs. Wood: What Works Better?
As such, it is generally not recommended to leave your Ooni pizza oven outside in these conditions, as it could potentially wear out the parts or, at the very least, cause rust.
If you do need to store your Ooni pizza oven outside, it is important to take steps to protect it from the elements. This could include using a protective cover to shield the oven from rain and snow and making sure it is placed in a location that is sheltered from the wind.
It is also a good idea to periodically check on the oven to make sure it is in good condition and that it has not been damaged during storage.
Ooni pizza ovens are built to last, and in general, you can leave yours outside as is. But if the weather is harsh, the wiser thing is to store it in a sheltered location such as your garage, basement, or under the overhang. Use a cover to keep the elements out and prevent rusting.
Ooni pizza ovens are a great investment, and they will last for years if you take care of them properly.